After my last post on the updated IT band craziness, I am looking forward to giving another update in about a week. Spoiler alert: Things are going well!! Really so very happy to be making progress. Last weekend, I raced a local 5k, and surprised myself quite a bit. I'll do a quick race recap on that soon, too :)
But, first things first. It's Monday, so I feel we need some good food to look at. Anyone with me?
I'm always looking for high-energy, whole foods to include in my diet. I don't follow a particular "diet or plan", but I really just try to eat foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. If it comes from the ground, then we are on the right track!
With that said, Here are a few healthy lunch ideas and snacks I've been eating lately. They all are really so simple.
1. Handful of Walnuts and Blueberries.
Walnuts are not only filling, but a great source of omega-3s (good fat!)
This isn't my own recipe, but it's worth re-posting in case you never saw it on Budget Bytes. I love Beth's blog for her creative, cheap and EASY-to-follow recipes. Total Win.
Ingredients: 1 medium eggplant 2 tbsp olive oil 3 tbsp tahini 3 tbsp water 2 tbsp lemon juice ¼ tsp garlic power ¼ tsp cumin ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper ¼ tsp salt Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice eggplant into ½ inch rounds. Lightly brush eggplant with olive oil. Watching carefully, roast eggplant for 30 minutes or until slightly brown and crispy.
- While the eggplant is roasting, combine last seven ingredients in small blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Let eggplant cool for a few moments, and add tahini sauce to top. Enjoy immediately.
*recipe source: Budget Bytes
5. Dark Chocolate (at least 70% cacao). Do I even need to explain this? Dark bitter chocolate is high in antioxidants and will turn any bad day better!