Because we are all getting a little cabin feverish over here . . . So I actually ended up going into work yesterday, and the photo above is how I felt about it.
This morning I woke up and my gym was closed again! Womp womp...
I knew I needed to get a run in, but the roads are so icy, so I had to get creative. I wanted to share what I did in case you are cooped up, too, and don't have access to a treadmill.
Here's the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) Workout I did. It's my favorite because a.) no equipment needed and b.) it's 30 minutes of elevated heart rate. WIN!
makes 1 large or 2 small servings
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/3-1/2 cup filtered water or coconut water
1-1.5 cups frozen or fresh berry mixture (I used strawberries, blueberries & raspberries)
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, divided
1 scoop protein powder (Vega One Berry flavor worked perfect for this!)
1 tablespoon sweetener of your choice (optional, but I used pure Maple syrup)
1/4 cup goji berries (can substitute cranberries, dried cherries, dried blueberries, etc)
1/4 cup almond slivers
1. Combine water and chia seeds together in small bowl, stir well, and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil and add mixed berries, Heat until berries are at a slow simmer. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
3. While berries cook, prepare the smoothie.
4. In high powered blender, combine chia/water mixture, almond milk, coconut flakes, 1/2 of the coconut flakes, and sweetener if you'd like. Blend until smooth.
5. Add hot berries to blender, and pulse a few times.
6. Pour hot smoothie into a bowl, top with remaining coconut flakes, almond slivers, and goji berries.
Stay warm, everyone!