You guys. Snow food. YESSSS.
Guess who got their first snow of the year?!?!
Memphis, TN, yalllll! Okay, well actually it's like 2 inches of ice, but we don't know any difference in the south, so let us party people party.
I'm taking a break from the ice party to give you these Valentines-weekend-turned-three-day-weekend-because-of-snow-day pancakes.
Chocolate Chip-Strawberry Pancakes with a Basil-Balsamic Reduction
Serves 1 large or 2 medium portions
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 2 tablespoon water) or 1 chicken egg
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1⁄2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup whole-wheat flour (all purpose works fine, too)
1⁄4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the basil-balsamic reduction
2/3 cup fresh sliced strawberries
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut sugar (brown sugar is fine)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1. Heat griddle or large skillet over medium heat, or 350 F.
2. For the reduction, add ingredients to small saucepan, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until
thick, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
3. If using flax egg, add ground flaxseed and water and let sit for 2 minutes in order to gelatinize.
4. Add melted butter, agave, baking soda, baking powder, salt, almond milk, vanilla and whisk
5. Add flower to mixture above, being careful not to over mix. Carefully fold in strawberries and
let better sit at rest for 5-10 minutes.
6. Lightly grease skillet, and add 1⁄4 cup of batter per pancake, sprinkling with chocolate chips.
Flip when bubbles have formed.
7. Stack pancakes, and top with reduction sauce.
Recipe adapted from minimalistbaker.com