What to eat after a run: Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl
You are sweating bullets, burned a million calories, and now you have no clue what to eat after your run. You know you should eat something, but what about protein and how many grams of carbs?! Knowing what to eat after a run can be confusing, but I'm in the camp that as long as you eat something, it's better than nothing. Try to get some protein and carbs. And you'll be good :)
Smoothies are the perfect snack to eat after a run.
Smoothies are a quick, easy, and healthy snack to replenish what was lost after a hard run! Even though this is a smoothie bowl, I'm going to ruin the surprise and let you know smoothie bowls are just smoothies in a bowl, ha! ;) I have one almost daily. My go-to smoothie flavor after a run is chocolate and peanut butter. If I have a banana on hand, I throw one of those in there, too! How to get the most, in Smitten Kitchen's words, "ethereally smooth" smoothie? Read on!
This is not so much a specific recipe, but more so a list of things I include in my smoothies to make them smooooth. You can't go wrong if you have a combination of the following items:
What to eat after a run: Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
yields 1 large smoothie
- 1 Banana
- 1 scoop of Non-chalky protein powder. I like this kind because it's plant-based and the ingredients are clean! If your stomach does okay with eggs, I also really love this protein powder! (I always prefer vanilla flavor over chocolate because vanilla is more versatile...like using it in this Berry Smoothie Bowl)
- 2 tablespoons Pb2. Let your life be changed with powdered peanut butter.
- 1-2 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa or cacao powder
- handful of fresh greens (ie. kale, spinach, chard)
- optional toppings: granola, bananas, peanuts
Tired of having chunks of greens in your smoothies? Buying this Vitamix blender was the best thing I ever did for my smoothie game to get that awesome smooth texture we all love. If that's out of your price range, I highly recommend a Magic Bullet. I made smoothies daily using the bullet for over 3 years and it worked great!
I won't judge you if you go for a run just so you can have this post-run smoothie bowl :)